Student Visa

Pathway Japan has the expertise to assist you with the visa application. Contact us for any questions, always happy to help you.

Types of Visa for students

There are three types of visa which students are likely to obtain for their study in Japan. The visa types differ by the course duration and the students’ purpose of coming to Japan.

  • Student Visa
  • Visitor Visa for short stay
  • Working Holiday Visa

Student Visa

A student visa is a status of residence granted to foreign nationals who are engaged in school educational activities. It is granted for 6 months to a maximum of 2 years.

Applicants are required to enrol into a school in Japan. Then a student visa is granted for the duration of the course period.

One of the requirements for student visa application is a “Proof of Financial ability”. Students must prove that they are financially supported during their entire stay in Japan. Proof of the following documents is required.

  • A certain amount of cash must be present in the bank account of the sponsor. The level of reserve depends on the student nationalities.
  • Bank statements in the name of the sponsor.
  • The estimated amount of income during the entire stay in Japan, such as tax returns or an employment certificate.

Application process

Step 1. Application
Pathway Japan will submit students’ course, accommodation and student visa application forms to the school.

Step 2. Acceptance
The school will report the student acceptance to Pathway Japan.

Step 3. Application for Certificate of Eligibility
The school will apply for “Certificate of Eligibility” via the Immigration Bureau of Japan.

Step 4. Grant a permission
Immigration Bureau of Japan will grant the school permission to issue a “Certificate of Eligibility”. Pathway Japan will ensure that the school will post student an original certificate and a letter of enrolment.

Step 5. Student visa application
Students will apply for the student visa at the embassy or Consulate of Japan in their home country.

Step 6. Registration card
On arrival into Japan, the Immigration officer will issue a registration card.

Note: The whole process will take approximately 5 ~ 6 months. Pathway Japan will consider this time frame during the planning and advise the student appropriately.

Note: Only those Japanese Language schools that are qualified (listed) by the Japanese government can issue students the “Certificate of Eligibility”. To comply with regulations of eligibility, the schools are required to monitor students’ attendance and the progress of their studies.

Leaving Japan for a holiday

When leaving Japan on holidays, a student visa will automatically be cancelled. It is then necessary to re-apply for a study visa to re-enter Japan.

To prevent re-application, fill in the ‘Embarkation card for re-entrant’. Tick a box, ‘I am leaving Japan temporary and will return’. Then submit it to the Immigration officer at the Immigration control when leaving Japan. Then the student can re-enter Japan with the current student visa.
However, the visa holder must re-enter Japan within one year from the time of departure from Japan.

Working in Japan

As the primary purpose of student visa is to study, students are not allowed to work in any form unless “Permission for other activity” is granted.

It is permission for the student visa holder to work part-time in Japan during the school term. For those who have obtained a student visa prior to arrival, permission can be applied at the immigration control on arrival into Japan. Alternatively, it can be applied through the Immigration Bureau of Japan while attending school.

Students are strictly restricted to part-time work only.

  • School term working hours: max 28 hours per week
  • School holiday working hours: max 8 hours per day

Visitor Visa for short stay

Visitor visa is granted for those with visiting purposes. Max 90 days of stay is allowed.

Under the ‘Visa exemption arrangement’, visitors from 68 foreign countries can obtain a visitor visa at the immigration control when entering Japan. For the list of countries, go to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan. However, some nationalities are subject to additional requirements. 

As the primary purpose of this visa is visiting, visa holders are not allowed to seek work.

In addition, the following countries have exemption arrangements for 180 days per year. However, a visitor visa holder must apply for renewal at the Immigration Bureau of Japan during the first 90-day period.

The 180-day exempted countries are the United Kingdom, Germany, Ireland, Austria, Switzerland, Mexico and Liechtenstein.

Working Holiday Visa

This visa is a system that enables young people aged 18 to 30 (differs by country and region) to work while staying in Japan, to deepen mutual understanding of the 2 countries through cultural exchanges.

The 22 countries and regions that have this visa agreement are the United Kingdom, Germany, France, Spain, Ireland, Austria, Sweden, Denmark, Portugal, Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, Norway, Iceland, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Argentina, Chile, South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong.

Visa is valid for 1 year and there is no restriction to working hours.

It must be applied at the embassy or Consulate of Japan in your home country prior to the arrival in Japan.